- Become a Tutor
- Become a Learner
- About Us
- What is Literacy?
- Literacy Services
- Tutor Resources
Need for Literacy Services
In the 1950’s and 60’s, it seemed all a person needed for a good paying job was a high school diploma. Today in the 21st century, over half of all jobs require some post-secondary training. If businesses cannot find the labor force they need here, they have other countries educated and willing to take on the work. The United States must have a literate adult workforce if it is going to be able to compete in a global economy.
Some interesting facts to consider:
- United States ranks 15th in adult literacy among industrialized nations.
- According to the 2000 Census, Wisconsin’s foreign-born population has risen 31% since 2000, far outpacing the 10.1% rate of the nation as a whole.
- In Kenosha, the Hispanic population has grown by more than 38% since the 2000 census and continues to be the largest of the local minority groups.
- Asians comprise 1.7% of the total Kenosha County population and their growth from the previous year was the highest among the minority groups at 5.4%.
- 9.7% of Kenosha residents report speaking a language other than English in the home compared to 7.3% statewide.